- 9th Decennial Census.
- U.S. Population: 38,558,371.
- Cost: $3,421,198.
For the 1870 census, enumerators recorded demographic information on the following topics, organized by column number:
- Number of dwelling house, by order of visitation from enumerator
- Number of family, by order of visitation from enumerator
Enumerators could mark "W" for White, "B" for Black, "M" for Mulatto, "C" for Chinese [a category which included all east Asians], or "I" for American Indian.
- Profession, occupation, or trade
- Value of real estate
- Value of personal estate
- Place of birth
State or territory of the United States or foreign country
- Was the person's father of foreign birth?
- Was the person's mother of foreign birth?
- If the person was born within the last year, which month?
- If the person was married within the last year, which month?
- Did the person attend school within the last year?
- Can the person not read?
- Can the person not write?
- Is the person deaf and dumb, blind, insane, or idiotic?
- Is the person a male citizen of the United States of 21 years or upwards?
- Is the person a male citizen of the United States of 21 years or upwards whose right to vote is denied or abridged on grounds other than "rebellion or other crime?"